Complete the CSA Briefing Document [PDF] 37 kb to request assistance with advertising and media placement and send it to:
Fax: 012 324 4452
For attention: Este Koorts
Tel: 012 473 0077
If you want to apply for or enquire about one specific service, you will find contact information or an online request form at the description of the specific service listed below.
- Advertising and media placement
- Communication research
- Corporate identity management
- Design and exhibitions
- Directory (database of contact information and profiles)
- Distribution of government statements and documents
- Distribution services
- Lead and plan briefings to the media
- Media liaison support
- Media monitoring
- Photographic services
- Radio production
- Strategic communication programmes and campaigns support
- Video production
- Website support
If you want to request more than one service you have to contact the Project Management Office.
The GCIS assists government departments with media planning and the placement and flighting of advertisements in print, electronic and outdoor media.
The Chief Directorate: Communication Service Agency can assists departments and state owned entities with:
- agency appointment and management for advertising and public relations campaigns
- securing savings for government through centralised media buying.
- Distribution projects.
- Management of the Corporate Identity
Guide to media buying at the GCIS [PDF] 274 kb
Quantitative, qualitative or desk research (or a combination of various research methodologies) is conducted, usually through outsourcing to private research companies. Government bidding procedures are followed.
Staff of the Directorate: Research is involved in the different phases of the research process (e.g. drafting the research proposal or compiling the questionnaire/discussion guide) and the management of research projects (e.g. bid procedure and liaison with service-providers). The focus of these research projects is to ensure that government understands the communication needs of the public based on scientific research.
The directorate renders research advice to government clients. This entails advice and assistance with regard to the compilation of research proposals (background to research, research problem, aim and objectives, methodology, sample, deadlines, costing), evaluation of bid documents, choosing service-providers, designing of questionnaires or discussion guides, attending focus groups and interpreting data and recommendations.
Complete the Research request form to request research services, and submit it online or return it to:
Tel: 012 473 0218
The Communication Service Agency provides ad hoc assistance to departments/ministries with the implementation of government's corporate identity.
Corporate identity guidelines for government were developed to assist government departments/ministries in the implementation and management thereof. A Corporate Identity Manual is available.
Ms Lynette Rippel
Tel: 012 473 0159
The Subdirectorate: Design develops, produces and manages products for campaigns identified by clients, including outsourced products for government campaigns.
A creative team of designers develops briefs for products of transversal campaigns, including government information waves and public participation events. It produces, or facilitates through outsourcing, the production of:
- print adverts
- billboard adverts
- pamphlets, leaflets, publications and other promotional material
- exhibition panels
- multimedia projects.
An exhibition support service and consultancy is provided to government departments and The Presidency.
The GCIS maintains an online database of contact information for government structures and bodies, including national provincial and local departments, state-owned entities as well as foreign representatives in South Africa, media organisations, and a selection of other institutions such as Chapter 9 institutions (established by the Constitution) and development institutions such as the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
The database also contains a collection of brief profiles of the President, Deputy President, Ministers, Deputy Ministers, parliamentary office bearers, provincial premiers and some former government leaders.
This online directory can be accessed on:
For input, feedback and enquiries, contact:
Electronic Information Resources
Tel: 012 473 0078
The Directorate: Media Engagement distributes government statements and speeches to the media, South African embassies and high commissions abroad and Parliament.
The Directorate: Distribution is responsible for the distribution of print information products, most notably the Vuk’uzenzele newspaper, the South Africa Yearbook and Pocket Guide as well as the Programme of Action (POA) publication.
Ms Nicolette Prinsloo
Tel: 012 473 0203
The Directorate: Media Engagement develops relationships with international media and arranges briefings for the media when required including Programme of Action briefings.
The Directorate: Media Engagement ensures a professional and accessible media support service for government by arranging regular press events, briefings and media opportunities.
Media liaison support, and particularly media management support, is rendered for all government-related activities. This support includes:
- developing and implementing communication strategies
- oganising media briefings
- drafting and issuing press statements
- coordinationg media interview on behalf of departments
The Parliamentary Office and the Information Resource Centre at Parliament provide media liaison services and an outlet for information resources and products.
Ms Liezil Cerf
Tel: 021 461 8143
Fax: 021 461 1446
The Communication Centre monitors media coverage of national and regional print and broadcast media, and selected international media in order to provide the following services and products:
- selected cuttings
- daily news and actuality reports
- electronic press clipping service
- video and audio recordings
- transcriptions of television and radio programmes on request
These products and services are rendered to the Presidency, ministries and government departments.
Ms Annalie Language
Tel: 012 473 0018
The Subdirectorate: Photography undertakes photographic assignments for government departments on request.
The photo library has over 100 000 images consisting of government activities, such as public participation events and government's Programme of Action as well as general scenery pictures of South Africa and its people. All official photographs of Cabinet ministers, MECs and other high-ranking government officials are stored in the photo library.
The Communication Service Agency produces radio productions on request. It facilitates the creative brief for the development of radio products assists, government departments in obtaining quotations for radio productions and liaises with the community radio sector on behalf of government clients.
The Video Unit provides:
- a production service for video programmes to government clients
- duplication facilities
- the facilitation of service-providers for script-writing, voice-overs, musicians, designers, etc.
The GCIS also sells archival material/stock footage from all videos and films produced by the GCIS or to which the GCIS holds the copyright, and renders a video library service.
Government departments are also assisted in obtaining quotations for video productions.
Electronic Information Resources (EIR) provides the following services to government departments:
- Updating, maintaining and improving the South Africa Government Online website (www.gov.za). Government departments or provinces may request the GCIS to post specific information and documents on the website, link to their websites or information, and announce prominent events, programmes, press conferences, conferences, seminars and special days.
- Advising government departments on developing, maintaining and updating websites. This service is provided irrespective of whether you develop a site in-house or utilises a consultant. Advice is offered on website best practices, website planning, website content, organising and structuring information or design and layout of websites and web pages.
- Evaluating/auditing websites. The implementation of a new website or the upgrading, enlarging or redesigning of an existing website is often preceded by an evaluation thereof. The GCIS offers this service to clients who already have websites, or when it is required as part of the website development process. The GCIS will provide an evaluation report and recommendations to the client. The scope of the evaluation and report will be based on the client’s needs.
To request website advice , contact:
Ms Estelle Greeff
Tel: 012 473 0078
To request website support:
- Provide the GCIS with a formal request for the service/s that you require.
- Provide the GCIS with your requirements. (The GCIS may request a meeting to clarify needs.)
- Deadlines and scope of services rendered will be determined in consultation . Factors that will influence this include your needs, the scope of the request, and the programme /commitments /capacity of the web team.
- When you request website evaluation services you will have to:
1. provide the web team with electronic access to your website
2. keep the site stable during the evaluation period.