Chief Director (Acting)
Tel: 012 473 0097
The purpose of the chief directorate is to conduct research to assess how government should inform the public communication needs and monitor media coverage of government programmes from a communication perspective.
The Chief Director's responsibilities and functions include:
- member of the Government Communication and Information System, a strategising body chaired by the Director-General
- managing the sections in the chief directorate
- overall budget and personnel in the chief directorate
- acting as a programme manager
- providing strategic direction to the chief directorate.
- Communication Resource Centre (CRC)
- Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation
- Research and Knowledge Management
Director: Jabulani Sibanyoni (Acting)
Tel: 012 473 0343
The directorate’s main purpose is the monitoring of national and international media coverage affecting government and the country, as well as the development of key messages and communication content.
The CRC's main responsibilities include:
- daily monitoring of national and international media coverage affecting government and the country;
- providing regular and issue-based national and international media coverage reports;
- providing a clipping service of selected national and regional newspapers;
- alerting internal and external stakeholders of breaking news in national and international media affecting government and the country;
- developing key messaging on government priority areas and campaigns; and
- developing communication content, including briefing and background documents, fact sheets and media content.
For media monitoring requirements contact:
Subdirectorate: Communication Centre
Deputy Director: Annalie Language
Tel: 012 473 0018
Director: Nkele Sebasa
Tel: 012 473 0207
The purpose of the Directorate: Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation is to monitor and evaluate the government communication system with the aim of improving the effectiveness of government communication activities.
Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation is further responsible for:
- Monitoring and evaluation of key communication campaign and projects.
- Analysing media coverage of government key priorities.
- Periodical assessment of the media landscape in South Africa.
- Collating departmental inputs for the State of the Nation Address
- Oversee the Government Communication Policy
Ms Suzette van der Westhuizen
Tel: 012 473 0294
Mr Majankie Mautla
Tel: 012 473 0163
Director: Dr Ntombifuthi Nala
Tel: 012 473 0218
The purpose of this directorate is to conduct public opinion research and to provide a knowledge management service in order to enhance effective government communication.
The Directorate is responsible for:
- ongoing research to assess the communication environment, both in general and for specific communication campaigns/projects
- research to assess the impact of communication efforts
- ongoing research to ascertain communication preferences and information needs
- enhancing access to communication research (distribution of research results, promoting buy-in into the GCIS's tracking research and syndicated projects conducted by private research houses)
- providing research advice to internal and external government clients
- providing a knowledge management and information service
- providing a departmental library service.
For research contact:
Ms Kopo Lehobye
Tel: 012 473 0140
For enquiries regarding knowledge management and library service contact:
Ms Joanne Cornelissen
Tel: 012 473 0114