Tel: 012 473 0298
The purpose of the chief directorate is to conduct research to assess how government should inform the public communication needs, and monitor media coverage of government programmes from a communication perspective.
The Chief Director's responsibilities and functions include:
- member of the Government Communication and Information System, a strategising body chaired by the Director-General;
- managing the sections in the chief directorate;
- overall budget and personnel in the chief directorate;
- acting as a programme manager; and
- providing strategic direction to the chief directorate.
Policy and Research comprises the following directorates:
- Communication Resource Centre (CRC)
- Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation (GCME)
- Knowledge Management and Information Services (KMIS)
Directorate: Communication Resource Centre (CRC)
Director: Gill Price
Tel: 012 473 0097
The directorate’s main purpose is the monitoring of national and international media coverage affecting government and the country, as well as the development of key messages and communication content.
The CRC's main responsibilities include:
- monitoring of national and international media coverage affecting government and the country;
- providing regular and issue-based national and international media coverage reports;
- providing a clipping service of selected national and regional newspapers;
- alerting internal and external stakeholders of news in national and international media affecting government and the country;
- developing key messaging on government priority areas and campaigns; and
- developing communication content.
For media monitoring requirements contact:
Sub-directorate: Communication Centre
Deputy Director: Annalie Language
Tel: 012 473 0018
Directorate: Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation (GCME)
Director: Nkele Sebasa
Tel: 012 473 0207
The purpose of the Directorate: Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation is to monitor and evaluate the government communication system with the aim of improving the effectiveness of government communication activities.
Government Communication Monitoring and Evaluation is further responsible for:
- Analysing media coverage of government key priorities;
- Collating departmental inputs for the State of the Nation Address; and
- Drafting the Government Communication Policy.
Ms Suzette van der Westhuizen
Tel: 012 473 0294
Ms Keamogetse Kgomanyane
Tel: 012 473 0163
Mr Brite Nemaranzhe
Tel: 012 473 0040
Director: Dr Ntombifuthi Nala
Tel: 012 473 0218
The purpose of this directorate is to conduct public opinion research in order to enhance effective government communication.
The Directorate is responsible for:
- ongoing research to assess the communication environment, both in general and for specific communication campaigns/projects;
- research to assess the impact of government communication efforts;
- ongoing research to ascertain communication preferences and information needs of the South African public;
- enhancing access to communication research (distribution of research results, promoting buy-in into the GCIS's quantitative tracking research and syndicated projects conducted by private research houses);
- providing research advice to internal and external government clients;
For research contact:
Ms Kopo Lehobye
Tel: 012 473 0140
Directorate: Knowledge Management and Information Services (KMIS)
Director: Saadia Moolla
Tel: 012 473 0264
The purpose of this directorate is to provide a strategic content and knowledge management integration system as well as an information retrieval and supply service through the GCIS Library in order to enhance effective government communication.
The Directorate is responsible for:
- drafting the National Communication Strategy Framework
- compiling strategic communications advice for high-level committees (including current affairs for Cabinet)
- providing a knowledge management and information service; and
- providing a departmental library service.
For enquiries regarding knowledge management and library service contact:
Ms Joanne Cornelissen
Tel: 012 473 0114