Chief Director: Zanele Mngadi
Tel: 012 473 0141
This Chief Directorate comprises four directorates that are responsible for a range of communication platforms created and operated by the Government Communication and Information System.
These platforms are part of our commitment to keeping South Africans and stakeholders elsewhere informed about the policies and activities of government and the opportunities arising from these programmes for citizens, businesses and other partners.
- Vuk’uzenzele (SA Government Newspaper)
- Content Development
- Digital Media
- News Service (www.sanews.gov.za)
Director: Ongezwa Mogotsi
Tel: 012 473 0353
The Directorate is responsible for the production of Vuk’uzenzele, GovComms (a quarterly newsletter) and Public Sector Manager (PSM) magazine .
Vuk’uzenzele is a government newspaper that focuses on communicating government programmes and policies including socio-economic opportunities created by government programmes, and how to access these opportunities.
The newspaper covers among others:
- government service-delivery projects
- practical information on how to access these opportunities created by government programmes
- government programmes and campaigns in all spheres of government
- updates and developments on the five key priorities of government including the Infrastructure Development Programme
- community development initiatives
- public-private partnership campaigns
- carries paid-for public sector recruitment vacancies, tender and notices
- international relations and perspective features
- sport and light entertaining features.
It has a print run of 850 000 copies per edition and distributed in all nine provinces, in large part door-to-door in deep rural, rural and peri-urban areas.
The newspaper is partly published in all official languages. It is a free publication published twice a month on the 1st and the 15th of each month with exception of December and January which is published as one combined edition. It now carries paid-for public sector vacancies, tender and notices.
The newspaper is also published in Braille for the visually-impaired groups and individuals with the web-version of the newspaper available through the website catering for those with access to the internet. The newspaper can also be accessed by downloading the VukApp on a mobile phones.
Follow Vuk’uzenzele on twitter @VukuzenzeleNews
Like Vuk’uzenzele on Facebook
The directorate works closely with internal services like the South African Government News Agency, Marketing and Distribution, Research and Knowledge Management, Cluster Coordination and Content Development Units. It also has extensive contact with different government departments and state-owned enterprises on campaigns and current news.
The PSM magazine, which is published on a monthly, is aimed at middle and senior managers in the public sector. It is intended to meet the information needs of managers in government, state-owned enterprises and Chapter 9 Institutions. The core focus of the magazine is to showcase the good work that is produced by the work force in the public sector. It also serve as a platform through which to share knowledge and best practices and innovations within the public sector. The magazine is the only one of its kind catering for public sector/government managers and is published under the pay-off line: The magazine for public sector decision-makers.
The magazine carries and features among others:
- articles and information on various topics including some of today’s most pressing public sector topics, from human capital and technology to finance and procurement
- columnists, need-to-know features, interviews with political principals and senior public sector officials, profiles of government and public sector executives, examples of public sector innovation and some lifestyle articles
- lifestyle articles include business travel, leisure travel, vehicles, food and drink, style, real estate and health
- latest conferences and exhibitions including other significant upcoming events in the public sector.
The GovComms – a newsletter for government and Public Sector communicators is produced quarterly and is a supplement to the PSM magazine. The focus of the newsletter is mainly on updates on the implementation of Programme of Action (PoA) and other government programmes and policies.
Deputy Director: News editor: Vuk’uzenzele
Tel: 012 473 0210
Deputy Director: News editor: Public Sector Manager magazine
Tel: 012 473 0103
Director: Elias Tibane
Tel: 012 473 0069
The purpose of the Directorate: Content Development is to provide writing, editing, proofreading and translation services.
It is also responsible for the production of the South Africa Yearbook and Official Guide to South Africa as well as ad hoc print products in support of major events such as the State of the Nation Address and National Orders.
Deputy Director: Editor – SA Yearbook
Tel: 012 473 0089
Deputy Director: Translations
Tel: 012 473 0211
Director: Vienie Botha
The functions of Digital Media are:
- updating the www.gov.za and Government Communication and Information websites
- maintaining the SA Government mobile app
- updating the https://twitter.com/GovernmentZA, https://www.facebook.com/GovernmentZA, https://www.facebook.com/GCISZA/ social media accounts
- assisting other government departments in maintaining their digital media.
Deputy Director: Websites
Tel: 012 473 0078
Deputy Director: Social Media
Tel: 012 473 0270
Director: Roze Moodley
Tel: 012 473 0213
Deputy Director: Chief Sub-Editor - Matona Fatman
Tel: 012 473 0176
Deputy Director: Chief Sub-Editor - Seshnee Moonsamy
Tel: 012 473 0278
Deputy Director: News Editor - Janine Arcangeli
Tel: 012 473 0112
SAnews.gov.za (formerly known as BuaNews) is a South African government news agency, providing up-to-date government news and information to community and mainstream media, locally and abroad. You may subscribe to receive SAnews.gov.za e-mail newsletters daily. Visit SAnews.gov.za online at www.sanews.gov.za or follow SAnews.gov.za on Facebook and Twitter.
The purpose of the News Service is to gather and write government news to supply to the media locally and abroad.
The function of the News Service is to develop daily online news in collaboration with ministries to provide media with easy access to fresh government news and information at no cost.
Government departments can send press information to: email@example.com.