Chief Director: Zanele Mngadi (Acting)
Tel: 012 473 0141
This Chief Directorate comprises four directorates that are responsible for a range of communication platforms created and operated by the Government Communication and Information System.
These platforms are part of our commitment to keeping South Africans and stakeholders elsewhere informed about the policies and activities of government and the opportunities arising from these programmes for citizens, businesses and other partners.
The Chief Directorate Products and Platforms comprises four directorates:
- Vuk’uzenzele (SA Government Newspaper)
- Content Development
- Digital Media
- News Service (www.sanews.gov.za)
Directorate: Vuk’uzenzele (SA Government newspaper)
Director: Tshepo Nkosi
Tel: 012 473 0103
The Directorate is responsible for the production of Vuk’uzenzele, and Public Sector Manager magazine.
Vuk’uzenzele is a government newspaper that focuses on communicating government programmes and policies, including socio-economic opportunities created by government programmes and how to access these opportunities.
The newspaper covers among others:
- government service-delivery projects;
- practical information on how to access these opportunities created by government programmes;
- government programmes and campaigns;
- updates and developments on government’s key priorities;
- community development initiatives;
- public-private partnership campaigns;
- carries paid-for public sector recruitment vacancies, tenders and notices;
- international relations and perspective features; and
- sport and light entertaining features.
It has a print run of 850 000 copies per edition and distributed in all nine provinces, in large part door-to-door in deep rural, rural and peri-urban areas.
The newspaper is partly published in all official languages. It is a free publication published bi-weekly on the 1st and the 15th of each month with exception of the December and January edition, which is combined.
The newspaper is also published in Braille for the visually-impaired groups and individuals, with the web-version of the newspaper available through the website catering for those with access to the Internet. The newspaper can also be accessed by downloading the VukApp on mobile phones.
Follow Vuk’uzenzele on Twitter @VukuzenzeleNews
Like Vuk’uzenzele on Facebook
The directorate works closely with internal units like the South African Government News Agency, Marketing and Distribution, Research and Knowledge Management, Digital Media, Cluster Coordination and Content Development. It also has extensive contact with different government departments and state-owned enterprises on campaigns and current news.
The Public Sector Manager magazine, which is published on a monthly, is aimed at middle and senior managers in the public sector. It is intended to meet the information needs of managers in government, state-owned enterprises and Chapter 9 institutions. The core focus of the magazine is to showcase the good work that is produced by the work force in the public sector. It also serve as a platform through which to share knowledge and best practices and innovations within the public sector. The magazine is the only one of its kind catering for public sector or government managers and is published under the pay-off line: The magazine for public sector decision-makers.
The magazine carries and features among others:
- articles and information on various topics, including some of today’s most pressing public sector issues, from human capital and technology to finance and procurement;
- columnists, need-to-know features, interviews with political principals and senior public sector officials, profiles of government and public sector executives, examples of public sector innovation and some lifestyle articles; and
- lifestyle articles, including travel, food and wine, and fashion and style.
Deputy Director: News editor: Vuk’uzenzele
Tel: 012 473 0210
Deputy Director: News editor: Public Sector Manager magazine
Tel: 012 473 0089
Directorate: Content Development
Directorate: Content Development
Director: Elias Tibane
Tel: 012 473 0069
The Directorate: Content Development provides writing, editing, proofreading and translation services. It is responsible for the production of two online publications, South Africa Yearbook and Official Guide to South Africa, which are updated annually. It also provides editorial services for ad hoc print products in support of major official events such as the State of the Nation Address and National Orders.
Deputy Director: Translation Services
Tel: 012 473 0211
Directorate: Digital Media
Director: Vienie Botha
Tel: 012 473 0174
The functions of Digital Media are:
- updating the www.gov.za and Government Communication and Information websites
- maintaining the SA Government mobile app
- updating the https://twitter.com/GovernmentZA, https://www.facebook.com/GovernmentZA, https://www.facebook.com/GCISZA/ social media accounts
- assisting other government departments in maintaining their digital media.
Deputy Director: Websites
Tel: 012 473 0078
Deputy Director: Social Media
Tel: 012 473 0270
Directorate: News Service
Director: Roze Britz
Tel: 012 473 0213
Deputy Director: Chief Sub-Editor - Matona Fatman
Tel: 012 473 0176
Deputy Director: Chief Sub-Editor - Seshnee Moonsamy
Tel: 012 473 0278
Deputy Director: News Editor - Janine Arcangeli
Tel: 012 473 0112
SAnews.gov.za (formerly known as BuaNews) is a South African government news agency, providing up-to-date government news and information to community and mainstream media, locally and abroad. You may subscribe to receive SAnews.gov.za e-mail newsletters daily. Visit SAnews.gov.za online at www.sanews.gov.za or follow SAnews.gov.za on Facebook and Twitter.
The purpose of the News Service is to gather and write government news to supply to the media locally and abroad.
The function of the News Service is to develop daily online news in collaboration with ministries to provide media with easy access to fresh government news and information at no cost.
Government departments can send press information to: firstname.lastname@example.org.