Chief Director: Vacant
This Chief Directorate was established in August 2010 as part of GCIS’s organisational restructuring, which flowed from a comprehensive review of the Government-wide communication system.
The unit’s main purpose is continuous assessment of the media environment and the development of appropriate communication interventions and initiatives. This is an essential contribution to GCIS’s leadership in strategic communication of Government.
Responsibilities of the Chief Director include:
- membership of, and participating in the GCIS Management Committee, a strategising body chaired by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- providing strategic direction and guidance to the Chief Directorate
- managing the Directorate and Subdirectorate in the Chief Directorate
- managing the overall budget and personnel in the Chief Directorate.
Media Rapid Response comprises the following programmes:
Directorate: Communication Resource Centre (CRC)
Director: Gill Price
Tel: 012 473 0097
The Directorate’s main purpose is continuous assessment of the international media environment and the development of appropriate communication interventions and initiatives. This is an essential contribution to GCIS’s leadership in strategic communication of Government.
The CRC's responsibilities and functions include:
- daily monitoring, assessment and analysis of international media coverage on the country
- producing regular and ad-hoc analytical reports that highlight issues and trends in international media coverage
- hosting and participating in the daily Rapid Response teleconference that analyse issues in the national and international media environment and recommend proactive and reactive communication to ensure the centrality of Government’s voice in media. The CRC manages this process in collaboration with other GCIS business units, the Department of International Relations and Cooperation and The Presidency
- providing support, and participating in GCIS and Government communication projects and campaigns.
Subdirectorate: Communication Centre
Deputy Director: Annalie Language
Tel: 012 473 0018
The Subdirectorate’s main purpose is continuous assessment of the national media environment as part of GCIS’s leadership in strategic communication of Government.
The responsibilities and functions of Communication Centre include:
- daily monitoring of national print, broadcast and electronic media coverage on the country
- providing regular and ad-hoc reports on issues in national media coverage
- providing a newspaper clipping service of national and regional newspapers
- providing internal and external stakeholders with copies of radio and television news and actuality programmes on request
- providing transcripts of broadcast material to internal and external stakeholders on request.