Acting Chief Director: Moepeng Tshwane
Tel: 012 473 0188
Provincial and Local Liaison provides strategic leadership to the interface of national government communication with provincial communication programmes. The Chief Directorate manages the nine provincial offices and the directorate at the national office.
Provincial and Local Liaison provides development communication and information to South African citizens, to ensure that they have public information which can assist them in becoming active citizens.
Through a more active involvement in public programmes and through access to government information and campaigns, people will be equipped and empowered to use this information for their own development, thus promoting a better life for all South Africans.
This is done through the following key programmes:
- developing, implementing and managing of a two-way communication and information system between government and the people
- implementing and managing a strategy for the promotion of development communication and local information content
- coordinating government’s Thusong Service Centre programme
- coordinating government's Public Participation Programme (imbizo)
- coordinating a local level information-management system, advising Department of Communications and government on issues affecting the communication environment at provincial and local level
- developing and implementing regional and local communication strategies in accordance with the National Communication Strategy and the Government Communication Programme (GCP)
- developing partnerships with local government aimed at enhancing the effectiveness of the system of government communicators
- providing leadership to the chief directorate.
Director: Moepeng Tshwane
Tel: 012 473 0188
The directorate coordinates and manages the involvement of the GCIS provincial and district offices in the government communication campaign, and oversees and leads the Public Participation Programme initiative in GCIS.
Deputy Director: Nsizwa Nkosi
Tel: 012 473 0222
The functions of Programme Support are:
- promoting development communication practice in government communication and local content
- local information analysis and media environment
- co-ordinating and managing the provincial distribution strategy for development communication.
Deputy Director: Nomhle Sibanyoni
Tel: 012 473 0496
The functions of Stakeholder Relations and Partnerships are:
- managing partnerships for the co-ordination and implementation of the Thusong Service Centre programme
- being a coordination, research, monitoring and evaluation instrument for the Thusong Service Centre programme
- developing a stakeholder relationship strategy for setting out norms and standards for stakeholder management.
Deputy Director: Delia Rossouw
Tel: 012347 0059
The functions of Provincial Operations are:
- coordinating capacity-building within the chief directorate
- providing administration, human resource and financial support to the chief directorate and Department of Communications provincial directorates
- coordinating and managing the programme’s information-management systems.
There are GCIS offices in each of the nine provinces. The offices work closely with provincial governments, in particular the Premier's Offices, to ensure the message of government is disseminated to the public in a seamless manner.
The functions of the provincial offices are:
- supporting the efficient and effective coordination of the operations and programmes of the chief directorate and provincial directorates
- supporting the roll-out of the local government communication system coordinating local information analysis and content processes between provincial offices and national clients
- promoting development communication, local content and platforms
- managing partnerships for the Thusong Service Programme
- coordinating research for the Thusong Service Centres
- leadership and administration of the directorate.
GCIS provincial offices
GCIS has provincial offices in all nine provinces.