11 December 2013
Members of the public are advised that the lying-in state will commence from 11 to 13 December at the Union Buildings, where ordinary South Africans and guests will be given an opportunity to pay their last respects to former President Nelson Mandela at the Union Buildings.
The City of Tshwane has activated park-and-ride facilities for the public at the Tshwane Events Centre, LC De Villiers Sports Facility in Hatfield and Fountains Valley Park to the Union Buildings.
Mourners are advised that cameras, including cellphones, will not be allowed at the Union Buildings.
Wednesday, 11 December:
- The body of former President Mandela will be moved from the 1 Military Hospital to the Union Buildings at 07h00.
- The family and heads of state will view the remains.
- The public will be able to view the remains from 12h00 noon till 17h00.
Thursday 12 and Friday 13 December:
- The body of former President Mandela will be moved from the 1 Military Hospital to the Union Buildings at 07h00
- The public will be able to view the remains from 08h00 -17h00.
Government information centre
Tel: 012 473 0389
Issued by: Government Communication and Information System (GCIS)