23 September 2022
Government Communication and Information System in partnership with Brand South Africa, Mail & Guardian, Asham Television, cordially invites members you to Africa’s Webinar on celebrating Africa’s Heritage taking place on 29 September at 14h00.The webinar will feature the Mr. Mthandazo Gatya, the Indigenous singer, songwriter and tiktok viral artist collaborating with John Legend on his song Nervous.
The month of September is commemorated as Heritage month celebrating the cultural expressions and practices that form a body of knowledge and provide for continuity, dynamism and meaning to social life for generations and communities. South Africa possesses a vast and diverse array of intangible cultural heritage that our communities have inherited from their fore-bearers and is passed from one generation to the next. This is done through the oral tradition, experiential learning and apprenticeship.
This year’s theme pays tribute to the 60th anniversary of the passing of singer and song writer Solomon Popoli Linda. He is best known as the composer of the song “Mbube” which later became the popular music success “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” and gave its name to the Mbube style of isicathamiya a Capella music.
Heritage month 2022 will focus on South Africa’s indigenous music with a spotlight on isicathamiya music and its immense contribution to our sport, arts, culture and heritage especially for emigrant communities in hostels, townships and peri urban areas.
Heritage month is also an opportunity to commemorate the centenaries of our late resistance and liberation struggle icons, and honour their contributions towards a free and democratic South Africa.
In this regard, GCIS and Brand SA will host the Heritage Webinar with a theme: Celebrating the Legacy of Solomon Linda and South Africa’s Indigenous Music”.
The speakers in the programme are as follows:
The speakers are:
- Ms. Phumla Williams – The Director General of GCIS
- Ms. Sthembile Ntombela – The Acting CEO of Brand South Africa
- Ms. Nondumiso Mandisa Tshikwatamba – The Deputy Director General of Department of Sports, Arts and Culture
- Mr. Mthandazo Gatya - The Indigenous singer, songwriter and tiktok viral artist collaborating with John Legend on his song Nervous.
- Ms. Shamiso Hlatshwayo – The Acting General Manager of Research at Brand SA
- Mr. Andile Yenana – A Music Lecturer from TVET
- Ms. Tiblet Tesfaye Dejene – A Journalist from Asham Television in Ethiopia
- Adv. Katlego Malatji – An entertainment lawyer from Home Coming Africa
Members of the media are invited to participate as follows:
Date: Thursday, 29 September 2022
Time: 14h00 Central Africa Time
Please RSVP to Ms. Sinesipho Mbandazayo-Mogane on email@example.com or send a WhatsApp message to +27 73 579 6583.
For more information, contact:
Mr Ayanda Holo
Cell: 061 488 0634
Ms Mmemme Mogotsi
Cell: 072 856 4288