30 October 2018
Government activities for the week 29 October – 04 November 2018
Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 29 October – 04 November 2018. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa will participate in the G20 Africa Summit scheduled for 29 to 30 October 2018 in Berlin. Tuesday 30 October, President Ramaphosa will engage with heads of state and government and leaders of the global private sector as part of his participation in the G20 Compact with Africa Conference and the G20 Investment Summit. From 1 to 2 November, President Ramaphosa to officially open the Summit on Gender Based Violence at the St Georges Hotel, Centurion in Pretoria. On Thursday, 01 November, President Ramaphosa to address the Discovery Leadership Summit in Sandton Convention Centre at 14h00.
- On Monday, 29 October, Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Ms Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, will deliver a keynote address at the opening of the 10th International Conference of Ombuds Institutions for the Armed Forces. The conference will be held at Emperor’s Palace Hotel in Kempton Park at 08h00
- The Minister of Public Works, Mr TW Nxesi, will deliver a key note address at the 6th annual Project and Construction Management Conference dedicated to transformation and empowerment in unlocking the future potential of the construction industry. The conference will be held from 29 to 31 October at the Gallagher Convention Centre.
- The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Dr Zweli Mkhize, will open the South Africa’s second national Urban Conference which will be held on 30-31 October in Johannesburg. The conference is convened by the South African Cities Network (SACN) in partnership with the national Departments of Cooperative Governance (DCOG), Human Settlements (DHS) and the National Treasury; the South African Local Government Association, SA Council for Planners (SACPLAN), ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, and the Gauteng Provincial Government.
- The Minister of Transport, Dr. Blade Nzimande, will close the Department of Transport’s October Transport Month campaign for 2018 with the official launch of the long awaited and much anticipated world-class Mt. Edgecombe Interchange on Tuesday, 30 October.
- The Minister in the Presidency responsible for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, will on Tuesday, 30 October, address the 6th Annual High-Level Meeting of the Multidimensional Poverty Peer Network at Birchwood Hotel in Boksburg at 09h00. The Statistician-General of South Africa, Risenga Maluleke, will also release the results of the Quarterly Labour Force Survey for the third quarter of 2018 at a media briefing at the Birchwood Hotel in Boksburg at 11h00.
- On Tuesday, 30 October, the Minister of Health, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, and the MEC for Health in KwaZulu-Natal Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo, will launch the National Cancer Campaign as part of the government`s plans to accelerate access to health services, particularly cancer treatment.
- On Tuesday, 30 October, Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Lindiwe Sisulu, will brief the media on the upcoming 18th Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Council of Ministers Meeting, scheduled for 02 November in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal Province. The Council of Ministers Meeting will be preceded by the Senior Officials Meeting scheduled for 31 October to 01 November.
- The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) will open its gates to the media in a tour of Leeuwkop Management Area on Tuesday, 30 October, and engage on the state of corrections in this country. The tour will provide an accurate view on the challenges confronting the corrections system, as well as programmes designed for rehabilitation.
- The Deputy Minister for Higher Education and Training, Mr Buti Manamela, will on Tuesday, 30 October, attend the annual summit by the Fibre Processing and Manufacturing SETA. The summit will be held at the Gallagher Estates in Midrand at 09h00.
- The Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr Bulelani Magwanishe will on Tuesday, 30 October, launch the revitalised Phuthaditjhaba Industrial Park in Free State. The launch marks the end of the first phase of the upgrading of industrial park by Department of Trade and Industry (the dti) to the tune of R50 million as part of the department’s Revitalisation of Industrial Parks Programme
- The Minister of Arts and Culture, Mr Nathi Mthethwa will host a delegation of BRICS Ministers of Culture to provide a strategic leadership and guidance on how governments can best strengthen collaborations amongst member states, market access, and to promote cultural diplomacy for a broader Government socio-economic agenda. The BRICS Ministers of Culture meeting will take place on Wednesday, 31 October at the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site in Maropeng, Gauteng.
- Freedom Park, an Agency of the National Department of Arts and Culture, in partnership with the Robert Sobukwe Trust, and the Masingita Foundation will commemorate the life of the former Robben Island political prisoner, Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe through a Seminar and an Exhibition on 31 October in Pretoria.
- On Friday, 02 November, the Deputy Minister for the Public Service and Administration, Dr Chana Pilane-Majake, will host the 16th Annual Public Sector Innovation Awards Ceremony at the Velmore Hotel and Spa, Erasmia in Pretoria at 18h00.
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.
Cell: 083 501 0139
Similar categories to explore