21 January 2019
Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 21 - 27 January 2019. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
- From 21 to 23 January Minister of Basic Education, Mrs Angie Motshekga, will host the third annual Basic Education Lekgotla at Birchwood Hotel and Conference Centre, in Boksburg. The Lekgotla will be held under the theme ‘’Equipping Learners with Knowledge and Skills for a Changing World’’.
- The Minister of Water and Sanitation, Mr Gugile Nkwinti, will convene a consultative meeting with Amampondomise Traditional Leaders as well as Caba communities to give progress on Mzimvubu Water Project in Caba Great Place, Qumbu on Monday, 21 January. Minister Nkwinti will also launch the Magalies Water Scientific Services Laboratory in Brits on Thursday, 24 January. The laboratory aims to provide services ranging from water quality testing and sampling, research and many other services rendered in a scientific laboratory.
- On Monday, 21 January, the Executive Chairperson of the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA), Mr Sifiso Mtsweni, will officially launch the NYDA Voter Registration and Education Campaign (VREC) at Kwaggafontein, Thembisile Hani Local Municipality, Mpumalanga at 12h00. The NYDA VREC is a partnership between the NYDA and the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) aimed at encouraging eligible young people to register to vote during the final registration weekend of the 26 and 27 January 2019.
- The Deputy Minister of Home Affairs, Ms Fatima Chohan, will travel to Vredendal on the West Coast on Monday 21 January 2019 where more than 50 Wupperthal residents will be applying for various documents following the devastating fire in the Town at the end of 2018. The Deputy Minister will meet the residents at the Thusong Service Centre at 10h30, before visiting the local Department of Home Affairs offices to interact with staff and clients.
- South Africa, through the Department of Environmental Affairs, will host the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group II First Lead Author Meeting of the Sixth Assessment Report from 21 to 25 January in Durban. The IPCC Working Group Lead Authors will spend a week focusing on the assessment of relevant literature, especially since the Fifth Assessment Report.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa will on Tuesday, 22 January, attend the launch of the Report on the Future of Work produced by the International Labour Organisation’s (ILO) Global Commission on the Future of Work in a Switzerland. President Ramaphosa will engage with the ILO ahead of leading Team South Africa to Annual Meetings of the World Economic Forum - a gathering of world leaders in government, business and civil society - in Davos, Switzerland, from 22 to 25 January 2019.
- The Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr Bulelani Magwanishe and the KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs, Mr Sihle Zikalala will launch a multi-million-rand Black Industrialist textile firm, Africa Bespoke Apparel on Tuesday, 22 January 2019 in Verulam, KwaZulu-Natal.
- From 23 to 24 January, the Deputy Minister of Tourism, Ms Elizabeth Thabethe, will host the annual Women in Tourism Conference at Hunters Rest in Rustenburg.
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.
Ms Phumla Williams
Acting GCIS Director-General
Mobile: 083 501 0139
Issued by Government Communication and Information System