Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 13 -19 August 2018. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
- The Minister for the Public Service and Administration, Ayanda Dlodlo together with the MEC for Health in Gauteng, Gwen Ramokgopa, will on Monday, 13 August, lead a pledging ceremony by nurses in Gauteng province, as they recommit their ‘nurses pledge to service’ humanity in honour of the late nurse and struggle stalwart, Albertina Sisulu’s centenary. The event, forms part of the 2018 Women’s Month celebrations and will be held at the Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital in Johannesburg at 09h00.
- The Minister of Higher Education and Training, Naledi Pandor will on Monday, 13 August, open the International Vocational Education Conference at the Southern Sun in Cape Town. The purpose of this Conference is to assist vocational educators across the globe to sharpen their knowledge on matters affecting the sector, providing networking opportunities, learning about new tools and to engage on the trends and best practices in the advancement of vocational education and training internationally.
- On Monday, 13 August, the Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training, Buti Manamela will give a keynote address at the Education Summit at the Oasis Hotel, Mokopane in Limpopo at 09h00. Tuesday, 14 August, the Deputy Minister will form part of a panel at the Mail and Guardian critical forum discussing the topic: Sexual orientation and gender identity in higher education at the University of the Witwatersrand in Gauteng at 17h00. On Wednesday, 15 August, the Deputy Minister will lead a career awareness campaign on TVET Month Programme at the NCR TVET College, Namaqualand Campus in Northern Cape at 09h00. On Thursday, 16 August, the Deputy Minister will attend a media launch for the educate Matric Maths and Science Revision at Sandton Convention Centre in Gauteng at 08h30.
- The Department of Basic Education, in partnership with the Presidency of South Africa, the National Education Collaboration Trust, the Nelson Mandela Foundation and UNICEF will on Tuesday, 14 August, launch the Sanitation Appropriate for Education at the Sheraton Hotel, Arcadia in Pretoria at 07h00. President Cyril Ramaphosa will unveil Government's plans and launch the initiative at a breakfast which will be attended by Corporate CEO’s of big business, as well as NGO’s and interested individuals.
- The Department of Science and Technology will on Tuesday, 14 August, launch the South African Research Chairs on Waste and Climate, and on Waste and Society at CSIR in Pretoria at 11h00. SARChI is an initiative of the DST led by the National Research Foundation (NRF) to attract and retain research excellence and innovation at universities, science councils and national research facilities.
- The Minister of Tourism, Derek Hanekom will launch Tourism Month on Thursday, 16 August, at the Tsitsikamma Village Inn in the Eastern Cape, under the theme: "Tourism and the digital transformation” which mirrors the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) World Tourism Day
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.