Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 09 – 15 July 2018. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
- From 09 to 15 July, Government will embark on the 8th National Imbizo Focus Week. Imbizo Focus Week strengthens participation and communities will be updated on government’s PoA. On Friday, 13 July, the Deputy Minister of Communications, Ms Pinky Kekana will host an event as part of the Imbizo Focus Week in Thabazimbi, Limpopo.
- On Monday, 09 July, the Deputy Minister of Finance, Mr Mondli Gungubele, will address a five-day Public Economics Winter School at South African Reserve Bank’s offices in Pretoria. Inclusive growth is the core theme for this Winter School.
- The Minister of Energy, Jeff Radebe in his capacity as the Chairperson of 100 years’ centenary of both Nelson Mandela and Mama Sisulu will on Monday, 09 July, participate at the Global Citizen Festival launch at Circa Gallery, Johannesburg.
- The Department of Basic Education will host a two day capacity building roadshow on the “Professional Development Framework for Digital Learning”. The roadshow will be held from 09 to 10 July, at the Safari Lodge and Conference Centre, in Rustenburg.
- The National Youth Development Agency will on Monday, 09 July, brief media on the 4th BRICS Youth Summit taking place at Zebula Lodge Golf Estate in Bela Bela, Limpopo Province, from 15 to 18 July 2018. The summit will be convened under the theme “Radical Economic Transformation – Making the New Development Bank Work for the Youth”.
- On Tuesday, 10 July, Government and stakeholders will march to raise awareness on violence against women and children. The #100MenMarch March will start at Church Square at 10h00 and is open to all citizens to participate including women.
- The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Dr Zweli Mkhize, is to undertake an oversight visit to Limpopo Province from 10 to 11 July, as part of interventions in identified distressed municipalities in the province. The Minister is also scheduled to meet with the Provincial House of Traditional Leaders.
- The Department of Labour’s Director-General, Mr Thobile Lamati, will on Tuesday, 10 July, launch the Industrial Action Report 2017. The Industrial Action Report takes an in-depth analysis to review the quarterly strike activities during the previous calendar year. The launch will be held at the Department’s Head Office in Pretoria at 09h30.
- The South African National Biodiversity Institute, in partnership with the Department of Environmental Affairs and the Department of Tourism, will on Tuesday, 10 July, launch the Sisulu Circle at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden in Roodepoort. The event will be jointly officiated by the Minister of Environmental Affairs, Ms Edna Molewa, and the Minister of Tourism, Mr Derek Hanekom.
- From 11 to 12 July, the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund in collaboration with the Department of Tourism, the City of Ekurhuleni, the Human Rights Commission and Parliament will host the 2018 Youth Summit in Cape Town. The Youth Summit will culminate with a tourism day - where the youth will visit iconic tourism sites in the Western Cape and retrace Nelson Mandela’s footprints in his quest for democracy.
- The Minister of Public Works, Mr Thulas Nxesi, will on Wednesday, 11 July, visit a Winter School Program to do an assessment of the effectiveness of the program in addressing the skills shortage at Pure Joy in Pretoria.
- President Cyril Ramaphosa and the Minister of Science and Technology Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane will on Friday, 13 July, launch the 64-dish MeerKAT radio telescope, which will be integrated into the mid-frequency component of the SKA Phase 1.
- The Minister of Public Service and Administration, Ms Ayanda Dlodlo, will on Saturday, 14 July, visit the Victim Empowerment Programme and Child Protection Unit at the Harrismith Police Station.
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.
Ms Phumla Williams, Acting GCIS Director-General
Cell: 083 501 0139