Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 08 – 14 October 2018. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
- The Minister of Higher Education and Training, MsNaledi Pandor and the Indian High Commissioner to South Africa, Ms Ruchira Kamboj will launch the Tshwane South TVET College Gandhi Mandela Centre of Specialisation for Artisan Skills. The launch will take place on Monday, 08 October at 11h30. South Africa and India signed a Memorandum of Understanding in July in setting up of the Centre of Specialisation for Artisans Skills.
- The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Dr Zweli Mkhize, will address the 67th Association of Municipal Electricity Utilities on Monday, 8 October at the CSIR in Pretoria at 9h45.
- The Minister of Water and Sanitation, Mr Gugile Nkwinti, will on Monday, 08 of October, turn the sod at the Clanwilliam Dam Wall Construction site at 11h00. The ceremony will give the construction team a go-ahead to commence with the raising of the wall.
- The Statistician-General, Mr Risenga Maluleke, will on Monday, 08 October, hold a media briefing to give state of readiness for undertaking Census of Commercial Agriculture, 2017. The briefing will take place at Tshedimosetso House, GCIS Head Offices in Pretoria at 12h00. NB! There will be a video link to Imbizo Media Centre, Parliament in Cape Town
- The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ms Lindiwe Sisulu, will on Tuesday, 09 October 2018, hold a media engagement with members of the press at the DIRCO Media Centre, OR Tambo Building in Pretoria at 11h00. The engagement will focus on, amongst others, the outcomes of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation Summit in Beijing, the 73rd session of United Nations General Assembly in New York, as well as other regional and international developments.
- From 09 to 12 October, the African Conservation Tillage Network in collaboration with the Government of South Africa and various bilateral and multilateral partners, will host the 2nd Africa Congress on Conservation Agriculture in Johannesburg. The theme of the Congress is “Making Climate-Smart Agriculture Real in Africa with Conservation Agriculture: Supporting the Malabo Declaration and Agenda 2063”.
- The Department of Labour’s Employment Equity (EE) public hearings on the amendments to the EE Act and the draft EE regulations will this week shift focus to KwaZulu-Natal. On 09 October 2018 hearings will be held at the Golden Horse Casino Hotel in Pietermaritzburg and on 10 October 2018 at the Olive Convention Centre in Durban. The EE public hearings will be held from 08h30 to 14h00.
- The Deputy Minister of Environmental Affairs, Ms Barbara Thomson, will on Tuesday, 09 October, launch the annual National Marine Week (NMW) awareness campaign at the Transnet Freight Railin Durban. The main objective of the NMW is to create awareness about marine pollution in the ocean and coastal ecosystems.
- The Deputy Minister of Tourism, Ms Elizabeth Thabethe, will on Tuesday, 09 October officiate a graduation ceremony to honour learners from the Mpumalanga and Limpopo Provinces who participated in the National Youth Chefs Training Programme in the 2017/18 financial year. The ceremony will be held at the Meropa Casino – Polokwane in Limpopo at 09h00.
- On Friday, 12 October, Umalusi will hold a media briefing on the assessment bodies’ state of readiness to administer end-of-year national examinations at Garden Court Milpark in Johannesburg at 09h30.
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.
Ms Phumla Williams
Acting GCIS Director-General
Cell: 083 501 0139
Issued by Government Communication and Information System