Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 01 – 07 October 2018. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
- From 01 to 05 October, the Department of Correctional Services will host the 9th Funda Mzantsi Competition for offenders. This annual championship is hosted by the National Library of South Africa in collaboration with the Department of Correctional Services and George Municipality.
- The Department of Small Business Development and the Small Enterprise Development Agency will hand over equipment to informal traders in Sekhukhune, Limpopo on Monday, 01 October. The ceremony will be led by Deputy Minister of Small Business Development, Mr Cassel Mathale together with the MEC for Economic Development, Environment and Tourism, Mr Seaparo Sekwati.
- The late Minister of Environmental Affairs, Dr Edna Molewa will be honoured with an Official Memorial Service on Wednesday, 3 October, in Pretoria. The venue for the Memorial Service will be communicated in due course. The ceremony will be open to the members of the public. The funeral service will take place on Saturday, 6 October 2018, in Pretoria, at a venue to be confirmed.
- The Minister in the Presidency responsible for Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, will deliver the 4th Annual National Development Plan lecture at the University of South Africa on 4 October. This year’s lecture will focus on the place and role of governance in the radical socio-economic transformation and promotion of inclusive growth development.
- The Deputy Minister of Tourism, Ms Elizabeth Thabethe, will host the National Youth Chefs Training Programme graduation at Westview Sports Club, Port Elizabeth on 4 October and Greyville Convention Centre, Durban on 5 October.
- From 4 to 5 October, the National Economic Development and Labour Council convenes a two-day Jobs Summit at the Gallagher Convention Centre at 08h00. The Jobs Summit will bring together all NEDLAC constituencies- government, labour, business and community – with a focus on collaborative and high-impact interventions to drive job creation, job retention and economic growth. Top of the agenda will be the alignment of the efforts of every sector and every stakeholder behind the imperative of job creation.
- The Department of Transport will officially launch the 2018 October Transport Month campaign on Friday, 05 October in Polokwane, Limpopo.
- The Deputy Minister of Communications, Ms Pinky Kekana will on Friday, 05 October, host a panel discussion on gender-based violence at the GCIS Head Offices, Tshedimosetso House, in Pretoria @ 11h00.
- The Department of Sports and Recreation will host the National Recreation Day on 05 October. Government call on the public and private sector to provide time out for their respective employees to participate in programmes of the day.
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.
Ms Phumla Williams
Cell: 083 501 0139
Issued by Government Communication and Information System