4 June 2018
Government has scheduled the following briefings/activities for the week: 04 - 09 June 2018. The activities, which are aligned to the National Development Plan and outlined in the Medium Term Strategic Framework 2014-2019, are undertaken to build a better South Africa.
1. The National Youth Development Agency will on Monday, 4 June, officially launch Youth Month at the Hector Pieterson Memorial Museum in Soweto at 10:00. The event will be attended by Minister in the Presidency for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation and Chairperson of the National Planning Commission (NPC) Dr Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who will deliver the keynote address. In line with government’s programme to celebrate the centenary year of Tata Nelson Mandela and Mama Albertina Sisulu, Youth Month 2018 will be commemorated under the theme “Live the Legacy: Towards A Socio-Economically Empowered Youth”.
2. The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ms Lindiwe Sisulu, will on Monday, 4 June, host the Second Formal Meeting of the BRICS Foreign Affairs/International Relations Ministers, scheduled to take place in OR Tambo Building, Rietondale, Pretoria. The meeting of the BRICS Foreign Affairs/International Relations Ministers is in preparation for the 10th Summit taking place at the Sandton International Convention Centre from 25 to 27 July 2018.
3. The Statistician-General of South Africa, Mr Risenga Maluleke, will on Monday, 4 June, release the results of the Non-financial census of municipalities (NFCM) 2017, at Tshedimosetso House, GCIS head offices, Hatfield, Pretoria. This statistical release also presents data on the number of households using the bucket toilet system in the country as reported by municipalities and those receiving free basic services. It also features statistics on indigents and employment in municipalities across South Africa. The Statistician-General Mr Risenga Maluleke, will also release the Gross domestic product (GDP) for the first quarter of 2018 at a media briefing to be held on Tuesday, 5 June at Tshedimosetso House, GCIS head offices, Hatfield, Pretoria. NB! Both the media briefings will have a video link to Media Centre, Parliament, Cape Town.
4. South African Revenue Service, Acting Commissioner Mr Mark Kingon will on Monday, 04 June, brief the media on the possible shortening of the Tax Season 2018 and related initiatives that will affect taxpayers at Megawatt Park, 1 Maxwell Drive, Sunninghill at 10:00 am.
5. President Cyril Ramaphosa will on Tuesday, 05 June 2018, receive the President of the Saharawi Arab Democratic Republic, His Excellency President Brahim Ghali, for a Working Visit. President Ramaphosa will be supported by the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ms Lindiwe Sisulu, and the Minister of State Security, Ms Dipuo Letsatsi-Duba.
6. The Minister of Trade and Industry, Dr Rob Davies will on Tuesday, 05 June, launch R1-billion Yekani ICT electronics and manufacturing factory at Wilsonia Industrial Park, in the East London Special Economic Zone. The Black Industrialist Scheme is a grant programme of the Black Industrialists Policy that aims to unlock the potential within black industrialists operating in South African economy through deliberate, targeted and well-defined financial and non-financial interventions.
7. The Department of Labour will host the Diving Regulations workshop for the burgeoning industry. The workshop is the second of its kind to be held by the Directorate: Health and Hygiene of the Inspection and Enforcement Services (IES) Branch. This year’s workshop will be held on 7-8 June at UShaka Marine: Sea World Education Centre in Durban. The theme of the workshop is: “Compliance in the commercial diving fraternity
All members of the media are advised that the media briefings/activities are subject to change. However, the GCIS will update the media through advisories.
Ms Phumla Williams
Cell: 083 501 0139
Issued by Government Communication and Information System