2 Sep 2016
Eleven new non-executive directors have been appointed to the Board of SAA for a three year period starting from 1 September 2016. Ms Duduzile Cynthia Myeni, the current Chairperson of the Board of SAA, has been reappointed for a period of one year. Ms Mmakeaya Magoro Tryphosa Ramano will serve as the Deputy Chairperson.
The new full-strength Board brings a wealth of skills and expertise, making them well positioned to oversee the turnaround of the airline. These skills include: finance, risk management, treasury management, investment management, project management, business strategy, marketing and business management, legal, banking, stakeholder management, communication and social development. The term of the previous non-executive Board members expires with the appointment of the new Board.
Brief background on Board members:
1. Ms Duduzile Cynthia Myeni, Chairperson. She is a successful entrepreneur and business woman with expertise in business strategy and development. She has been a member of the Board and as the Chairperson of the Board she spearheaded the transformation agenda at the SAA. She is also the President of the African Water Association and has served as a director at ABSA Bank and Business Against Crime. She was nominated as the South African Chamber of Commerce (SACCI) Business Woman of the Year in 2009, South African Women Philanthropist, and Woman Entrepreneur by Investec Private Bank and the Sunday Tribune.
2. Ms Mmakeaya Magoro Tryphosa Ramano, former SAA Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as Deputy Chairperson. She is a chartered accountant and the Chief Financial Officer and member of the Board of PPC Cement. She also a former CFO of Wiphold. She is a non-executive director at Adcorp Holdings and Real Africa Holdings. Despite additional Non-Executive directorship roles Tryphosa finds time to pursue transformation in the financial services sector through her leadership of the African Woman Chartered Accountants (AWCA) society and the establishment of the Institute of Investment Excellence.
3. Ms Bajabulile Swazi Tshabalala, with 20 years professional experience in finance, risk management, treasury, investment, project and general management. She is a Non-Executive Director at Standard Bank, STANLIB Asset Management Limited and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
4. Ms Thandeka Nozipho Mgoduso, a human resources and remuneration expert. She is a Commissioner on the Independent Commission for the Remuneration of Office Bearers, a non-executive director on the SA Reserve Bank and chair of the Remuneration Committee of the Bank. She has served on the boards of Air Traffic Navigation Services and other companies.
5. Mr Akhter Hoosen Moosa, a chartered accountant. He is currently a member of the Finance Committee of the South African Institute of International Affairs, and a member of the Disciplinary Committee of the Independent Regulatory Board of Auditors and an advisor to the audit committee of SANRAL Limited and serves on other boards.
6. Ms Gugu Sepamla, a chartered accountant and former Managing Director at Barclays Africa, former Head of Strategy (Africa) at Ernst & Young and former head of Corporate Relations and Fundraising for the Public Investment Corporation. She is a Senior Advisor for Boston Global Consulting and Director at African Women’s Chartered Accountants.
7. Mr Siphile Buthelezi, attorney. He is the Managing Director and Head of Corporate/Commercial at Buthelezi Vilakazi Inc. He specialises on a broad range of banking and finance transactions. He is a member of the Law Society of Northern Provinces and the Black Lawyers Association and Secretary-General of the Progressive Professionals Forum.
8. Mr Peter Holmes Maluleka, a stakeholder management and community engagement specialist. He is a former Member of Parliament and former chairperson of the Public Enterprises portfolio committee.
9. Mr Mzimkulu Malunga, with expertise in business strategy, business management, communications and marketing. A former financial journalist, he is a trustee on the Brand SA Board of Trustees. He has served as a managing director of Business Day Financial Mail and former Chief Executive Officer of Urban Brew.
10. Dr Martha Mbatha, social development expert with research expertise is the Managing Director of the Centre for Development Research and Facilitation. She is Chair of the Board of Agri-business Development Agency KZN and a Board Member of Ingonyama Trust.
11. Nazmeera Moola, economist and macro-economy strategist. She previously served as a Director at Transnet. She is also an Economist and Strategist at Investec Asset Management and a former director at Daimler Chrysler. She is a former head of strategy at Macquarie Securities.
12. Peter Tshisevhe, attorney specialising in Corporate Commercial, Mergers and Acquisitions, tax, Structured finance; Security exchange listings; restructuring and unbundling, corporate restructuring and general commercial practice. In terms of Clause 13.1 of the Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI) SAA’s Board is to be appointed by the Minister of Finance, as the Executive Authority for SAA, in consultation with Cabinet.
Contact: 082 901 0766