13 December 2013
- The full rehearsal of the procession will start today at 13:00 and the road from the airport R61 – Sutherland Road-York Street-Mandela Drive – N2 to Qunu will be closed. Sections will be opened as soon as the convey has passed through. This will also be the case on Saturday from 13:00 again.
- The following roads closures /diversions will be in place from today at 21:00 :
Travelling to Mthatha from Kokstad/Durban:
- At the N2 Tsolo Junction traffic will be diverted to the R396 to Maclear
- In Mthatha at the Shell Ultra City traffic will also be diverted to the R61
Travelling from East London to Mthatha:
- Near Butterworth on the N2 at Ndabakazi traffic to be diverted to Tsomo on to the R61
- At Idutywa on the N2 traffic will be diverted to Engcobo on to the R61
- At Engcobo on the R61 at Coghlan a diversion will take place to a gravel road
Mthatha is thus still accessible via the R61, but we advise commuters not to travel to Mthatha unless absolutely necessary. There will be traffic delays and we ask the public to be patient and understanding of the special circumstances.
All Holliday makers travelling to and from KwaZulu Natal should avoid travelling through Mthatha and will have to use alternative routes on R396 and R61.
Government Information Centre
Tel: 012 473 0389
Issued by: Government Communication and Information System (GCIS)