The name of one member was erroneously omitted yesterday when the Presidency announced the new members of the Board of Trustees of the International Marketing Council (IMC), to oversee the marketing of Brand South Africa.
The IMC was established in 2002. The mandate of the organisation is to develop and implement a pro-active and coordinated international marketing and communication strategy for South Africa.
The omitted member is Mr Sandile Zungu, Chairman of ZICO Investments, a holding company with interests that range from media to mining. Mr Zungu has served in the IMC Board since the inception of the trust.
Members of the Board of Trustees
The new trustees, appointed for a period of three years, are as follows:
- Mr Sandile Zungu
- Mr Happy Ntshingila, a communication and marketing specialist, and Group Executive for Marketing and Communication at ABSA
- Ms Anitha Soni, tourism specialist and Deputy Chairperson of the Tourism BEE Charter Council
- Dr Judy Nxasana, businesswoman and Chief Executive Officer and Chairperson of Mbhekani Health and Wellbeing, and chair of Masibulele Pharmaceuticals
- Mr Danny Jordaan, Chief Executive Officer of the 2010 Local Organising Committee, an accomplished organiser and marketer of the South African brand.
- Adv Brenda Madumise, a non-practising advocate with vast business experience and a director of a number of private companies
- Mr Ajay Gupta, Chairman of Sahara Holdings, who has been a member of the IMC since its inception
- Essa Yacoob, an accomplished Western Cape tourism expert
- Mr Welcome Msomi, an internationally acclaimed playwright, choreographer and director
- Mr Wayne Morris, founding partner and managing director at Growth Strategy and Engagement Corporation, a niche consultancy focusing on strategic interventions with key clients
- Mr Zizi Kodwa, political communication and campaign specialist, former head of communication for the ANC Youth League, former marketing manager for Denel and current spokesperson for the ANC President
- Mr Vusi Mvelase, director of Vusi Mvelase and Associates, a communications consultancy company
- Mr Lucas Radebe, SA Tourism’s 2010 Brand Ambassador, a successful businessperson, accomplished soccer player and philanthropist.
- Ms Chichi Maponya (Gauteng), Managing Director of the Maponya Group
- Mr Thabo Mhlongo (KwaZulu Natal), a businessperson with interests in the tourism field
- Ms Itumeleng Victoria Moloi (Free State), Director for Local Economic Development and Tourism at Fezile Dabi District Municipality
- Mr Sydney Kunene (Mpumalanga), a director of NAFCOC Investment Holdings, member of the NAFCOC National Executive Committee and a Member of the Provincial Government BEE Advisory Committee
- Ms Kenosi Vanessa Meruti (Northern Cape), a Commissioner with the Commission for Gender Equality
- Ms Mathipe Orcillia Moganedi (Limpopo), a businessperson with interests in retail, media, IT, mining and communications sectors
- Neela Hoosain (Eastern Cape) has served as MEC for Education, Member of the Provincial Legislature, Deputy Chairperson of Chairpersons, Whip and Deputy Whip in the legislature
- Mr Alan Winde (Western Cape), MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism
- Mr Lefty Mogorosi (North West), Chairman of the North West Chamber of Commerce.
- Mr Themba Maseko, CEO of the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS)
- Dr Ayanda Ntsaluba, Director-General of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation
- Tshediso Matona, Director-General of the Department of Trade and Industry
The Board of Trustees will elect a chairperson and deputy chairperson.
President Zuma has extended his best wishes to the new team and wished them well on their duties of promoting the country.
“This council plays an invaluable role in promoting South Africa abroad, providing the international community with a comprehensive picture of our country, its people and its opportunities,” President Zuma said.
Cell: 083 645 0810
Issued by: Government Communications (GCIS)