24 October 2008
Minister in The Presidency Dr Manto Tshabalala-Msimang will host a high level National Gender Machinery (NGM) meeting with various stakeholders aimed at amongst others sharing of ideas that would be taken into consideration during the review of the NGM.
The meeting scheduled to take place over two days from 25 to 26 October 2008 will also look at a number of urgent and pressing issues that affect women in South Africa such as poverty and engendering of the terms of reference of the India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) tripartite proposed agreements.
The following people are expected to attend:
- Articulation of a Women’s Ministry - Ms Angie Motshekga – MEC for Education: Gauteng
- Non Governmental Organisation’s (NGO's) response on poverty alleviation: Ms Gloria Serobe
- A local government response to poverty alleviation: Ms Nomatyala Hangana: Deputy Minister for Provincial and Local Government
- Women’s economic empowerment and employment opportunities and the impact of current global crises: Ms Elizabeth Thabethe, Deputy Minister for Trade and Industry
- Targeting poverty alleviation for rural women: Ms Lulu Xingwana: Minister for Land affairs and Agriculture
- Effective resourcing of the National Gender Machinery: Ms Ntombazana Botha: Deputy Minister for Arts and Culture
- Strengthening the women’s movement for an effective National Gender Machinery: Ms Nomboniso Gasa : Chairperson – Commission on Gender Equality.
The meeting will take place as follows:
Date 25 - 26 October 2008
Time 08:30 (media to arrive at 08h00)
Venue Pretoria Southern Sun Hotel, Corner Beatrix and Pretorius Street
Members of the media wishing to attend the event are requested to RSVP with Bongani Mlangeni to email@example.com or 073 525 3107.
Cell: 073 525 3107
Cell: 079 500 5555
Issued by: Government Communications (GCIS)