22 July 2008
Cabinet held its ordinary meeting in Tshwane this morning, 22 July 2008. This meeting preceded the July Cabinet Lekgotla.
President Thabo Mbeki formally welcomed Mr Kgalema Motlanthe to his first Cabinet meeting and Mr Motlanthe was warmly received by his Cabinet colleagues. Mr Motlanthe will be a Minister in the Presidency (leader of Government Business).
The Treaty of Friendship and Partnership between the Republic of South Africa and the Russian Federation was approved and will be submitted to Parliament for ratification.
Cabinet received a progress report on the establishment of a National Health Insurance for South Africa, and noted that legislation relating to the establishment of the Risk Equalisation Fund was before Parliament.
The meeting approved extension of the deployment of 1137 members of the South African National Defence Force in Burundi who are part of the African Union (AU) Special Task Force.
Cabinet approved the 2010 proposed stamp programme which will include stamps to mark South Africa’s hosting of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the South African Bird Series, the Taxi Hand Signs, and the 150th Anniversary of the South African Railways. The Ministry of Communication will seek FIFA approval prior to issuing the 2010 FIFA World Cup stamps.
The following appointments were approved:
- Mr C Forlee was appointed Deputy Director-General in the Department of Public Enterprises;
- Dr M Mabetoa was appointed Deputy Director-General in the Department of Social Development;
- Mr IA Naidoo was appointed Deputy Director-General in the Office of the Public Service Commission;
- Ms MV Dlomo and Ms Nompozolo were appointed Deputy Directors-General in the Department of Foreign Affairs;
- Dr GN Padayachee and Dr YG Pillay were appointed Deputy Directors-General in the Department of Health;
- Mr Peter Moyo and Mr Michael Hankinson were appointed non-Executive Directors to the Board of Transnet for a three-year period;
- Dr J Matjila (Chairperson), Ms C Louw, Mr T Motsepe, Ms F Renqe and Ms R Diab were appointed to the Regulating Committee for Meteorological Services, for a three-year period which ends February 2011; and
- Mr JP Wentzel was appinted Chief Operations Officers (COO) of the South African Post Office (SAPO) for a five-year period, with effect from 1 September 2008.
Themba Maseko (Government Spokesperson)
Cell: 083 645 0810
Issued by: Government Communications (GCIS)