The SA Chapter of the SADC Media awards has launched the 2006 Media Awards Competition which is open to all journalists who are South African nationals. The Award is in the fields of Print Journalism, Radio Journalism, Television Journalism and Photojournalism.
Rules of the competition
- The entries should have been published/ broadcast between January and December 2005 by a registered and/or authorised media agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorised media agency in South Africa;
- The theme of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be HIV and AIDS;
- All journalists who are South African nationals may enter the competition, except institutions or organisations and SADC Secretariat staff;
- All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages, i.e. English, Portuguese and French and they should be submitted as they were published / broadcast (newspaper cuttings, website addresses, magazines, audio or video cassettes);
Entries are invited from the following categories:
- Print Journalism : comprising features/articles published in newspapers; newsletters; website;
- Radio Journalism : comprising broadcast material;
- Television Journalism : comprising televised material;
- Photojournalism : comprising published still and motion pictures with a caption or text; Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 1000 (one thousand) words and a maximum of 2000 (two thousand) words. Broadcast or televised materials should have a maximum duration of twenty minutes.
- The National Entries will be initially screened and judged by the National Adjudication Committee, which will select the best entry in each of the four categories to be forwarded to the Regional Adjudication Committee, through the SADC Secretariat;
- The selection of the best regional works will be decided upon by the Regional Adjudication Committee;
- The Regional Adjudication Committee reserves the right not to award the prizes if the works submitted do not meet the competition requirements;
- The decision of the Regional Adjudication Committee shall be final;
- The winners will be announced and the prizes awarded at a ceremony to take place on the occasion of the SADC Summit of the Heads of State and Government;
- The Awards will include Print, Radio, Television and Photo journalism and each category carries a prize of US$2000.
- The monetary prizes will be accompanied by a certificate signed by the SADC Chairperson;
- The prizes will be paid directly to the winner. In the case of a winner being unable to be present at the ceremony, SADC will make arrangements to give the prize in his/her home country;
- All submissions must contain full contact details of the journalist, including, passport-sized photograph, physical address, telephone and, where applicable, fax number and e-mail address;
All entries must be submitted to the National Adjudication Committee by 30 March 2006;
For more information contact:
Tthe National Adjudication Committee (NAC) Chairperson
Tel (011) 714 3407
Click here [PDF] 101 kb for entry forms.
Entries to be submitted to:
Ms. Charlotte Mampane
SABC Head of Regions
Private Bag X1
The NAC shall not be responsible for any loss or damage to the work or material submitted.