GCIS was mandated in 2002 to explore ways in which an Awards mechanism could be introduced for government communicators. This is intended to recognise improved delivery, innovation and excellence in the government communications profession and to further encourage communicators to work hard.
The inaugural Government Communicators´ Awards (GCA) took place on 6 December 2002 at the Birchwood Executive Hotel in Boksburg. Since then eight successful ceremonies have been held, the most recent – the 2009 Government Communicators' Awards ceremony – having been held on 11 December 2009 at the Sandton Sun, Sandton. All the ceremonies were held in partnership with sponsors.
The objectives of these Awards are:
- To promote, encourage and maintain high standards and professionalism of communication at all levels of government;
- To initiate, improve and maintain lines of excellent communication within and outside government;
- To act as a catalyst and encourage communicators;
- To reinforce the commitment of communicators to excellence in their daily work; and
- To reward excellence in government communication.
Tel: 012 314 2208
Tel: 012 314 2403