Chief Director: Zanele Mngadi
Tel: 012 473 0141
Director: Scelo Gcabashe
Tel: 012 473 0056
Deputy Director: Patrick Radzuma
Tel: 012 473 0459
Administrative Officer: Doreen Mokone
Tel: 012 473 0492
The purpose of the chief directorate is to provide support to the Minister and Deputy Minister in exercising their oversight roles on State-Owned Entities (SOEs). The chief directorate is further mandated to ensure that SOEs deliver on their respective mandates while remaining financially sustainable. It is also tasked to ensure that the SOEs comply with relevant legal prescripts, including the Public Finance Management Act, Companies Act, Founding Legislation and Treasury Regulations.
- To monitor the implementation of policies by SOEs;
- To provide guidance and oversight on their performance; and
- To provide guidance and oversight on governance matters.
The functions are organised into the following subprogrammes:
- Community Media, which monitors the implementation of broadcasting and community media policies and provides guidance and oversight over the governance matters of SOEs.
- Marketing and Branding, which monitors the implementation of marketing and branding policies and provides guidance and oversight over the governance matters of SOEs.
- Brand South Africa (Brand SA)
- Media Development and Diversity Agency (MDDA)
Brand SA’s Mandate:
- Inspiring and unifying civil society, business, government and the media to build the reputation of South Africa and contribute to its global competitiveness.
- Developing and articulating a South African Nation Brand identity that will advance the country’s long-term positive reputation and global competitiveness.
- Seeking the involvement and cooperation of various stakeholders in building awareness and the image of the Nation Brand domestically and internationally.
- Seeking to build individual alignment to the Nation Brand in South Africa and instilling pride and patriotism amongst South Africans.
For more information, visit www.brandsouthafrica.com.
The MDDA’s mandate:
- Create an enabling environment for media development and diversity which reflects the needs and aspirations of all South Africans.
- Redress exclusion and marginalisation of disadvantaged communities and persons from access to the media and the media industry.
- Promote media development and diversity by providing support to community and small commercial media projects.
- Encourage ownership and control of, and access to, media by historically disadvantaged communities and diminished indigenous language and cultural groups.
- Encourage the development of human resources and training, and capacity building, within the media industry, especially amongst historically disadvantaged groups.
- Encourage the channeling of resources to the community media and small commercial media sectors.
- Raise public awareness with regard to media development and diversity issues.
For more information, visit www.mdda.org.za.