Secretary: Ms Mmipe Ntabane
Tel: 012 473 0186
Government departments are clustered according to key priorities to encourage integrated planning, effective decision-making, information-sharing and sound intergovernmental relations. There are seven government clusters, each led by directors-general of related departments.
GCIS coordinates the communication clusters that comprises of the Heads of Communication of relevant national departments that form part of the specific cluster, joined by a supporting team from GCIS. The communication cluster accounts to the respective Directors-General cluster.
Communication clusters mirror the Cabinet clusters and thereby enable the developing of communication plans that emanate from Cabinet.
Clusters provide a platform for joint planning and collective implementation of government programmes by communicators.
The role of cluster is to:
- ensure that government communication is aligned, integrated and responsive to the immediate communication and information needs of the cluster
- ensure that communication clusters coordinate and plan communication, identify new platforms and communication opportunities, and design communication programmes and campaigns
- assess and plan for issues arising from Cabinet and Directors-General clusters
- ensure a functioning Internal Communicators’ Forum
- ensure that information and experiences are shared amongst government communicators.
Clusters under the Chief Directorate
|Human Development||Social Protection & Community Development||Governance & Administration|
|Chair: Basic Education
Deputy Chair: Health
|Chair: Social Development
Deputy Chair: Public Works
|Chair: Public Service & Administration
Deputy Chair: Home Affairs
Director: Human Development; Social Protection and Community Development; Governance and Administration Clusters
Mr David Jacobs
Tel: 012 473 0055
Secretary: Ms Portia Mudau
Tel: 012 473 0243
The role of the Director is to:
- manage the coordination of communication clusters
- provide strategic communication support and advice to clusters and departments on their campaigns, programmes and projects
- ensure that cluster communication programmes are implemented implemented through the cluster coordinators
- facilitate the development of communication strategies for clusters, departments and campaigns through the cluster coordinators
- review communication strategies to ensure alignment to the National Communication Strategy
- coordinate the biannual Internal Communicators’ Forum and ensure regular information sharing with Internal Communicators
- provide support to cluster media engagements
- oversee the maintenance of the government communication system,encompassing cascading of the national communication strategy to clusters and departments, government communicators’ contact database and calendar of events.
Social Protection and Community Development
Ms Tebatso Bogopa
Tel: 012 473 0299
Governance and Administration
Ms Itumeleng Bokaba
Tel: 012 473 0107
Ms Philisiwe Mdluli
Tel: 012 473 0231
Government Internal Communication
Ms Shadi Puoane
Tel: 012 473 0280
The role of the cluster coordinators is to:
- convene cluster meetings
- compile Directors-General cluster reports
- develop communication strategies and programmes, departmental strategies for cluster, departmental programmes and campaigns
- ensure clusters, departments and campaigns have communication strategies and assist those without them
- produce cluster-related key messages, fact sheets and other content documents.